Sunday, February 10, 2008

Kimchi

Kimchi is the most favorite food of Korean people. In our saying, we cannot live without Kimchi. If someone is Korean, they would be keeping one or several kinds of Kimchi in their refrigerators. Let me introduce Kimchi for a while. Kimchi is a raw and pickled vegetable. Most foods can keep their tasts just within 1 week, while Kimchi is possible to keep over than 3 years. I would like to boast Kimchi as a magic science. In fact, according to experts, the kinds of Kimchi are more than 200. It depends on ingredients. I have seen that my mother made Kimchi many times but honestly, I have two experiences to make Kimchi by myself. One was in Korea and the other was in Iowa here. After arriving here in last summer, I tried to make cabbage Kimchi. Unless my mentor's help, I might not eat it. Even though same ingredients are included, tasts are different.

Now, as you already heard my presentation about Kimchi in communication skill class, in this blog, I will introduce another Kimchi, Gakdugi, which is made of radish . I think making this is easier than cabbage Kimchi(Beachu Kimchi).

ingredients
a fresh radish
green onions
fine red pepper powder
ginger
galic
salt
optional ingredient : pickled baby shrimps

First of all, we can cut radish into cube-shaped and put in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt and then let them stand. Next, we have to prepare for source. Cut green onions and mash galic and ginger. And mix them with red pepper powder and some pickled baby shrimps (option). Finally, mix the cubed radish and the source that we made above. If you don't like spicy taste, you can control the quantity of the red pepper powder. Put them into a containter and eat them 2-3 days later.


This is Gakdugi, one of side dishes in Korea.
I love this.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

That's so interesting, Eun Young. I love cabbage kimchi, but I had no idea there were other kinds of kimchi with other vegetables. 200 kinds! Hopefully you will make one for our potluck!