Sunday, March 30, 2008

Lady Godiva

This picture was drawn by John Collier in 1898. I saw this picture in the magazine about 2 years ago. When I saw the picture at first, I thought it was just like other nude pictures. However, after reading an article about the history of the picture, I looked at it again and was impressed.

The woman in the picture is Godiva, who was the wife of Leofric, a noble of Mercia in what is now the United Kingdom. She took pity on people who were suffering under her husband's oppressive taxation. Although she appealed several times to her husband, he refused it. And then, he challenged her to ride naked through the marketplace, promising to reduce the tax burden. She received his challenge and proclaimed that all persons should keep within doors and shut their windows when she rode through the town. However, only one person in the town, a tailor known as Peeping Tom peeked at her. According to the legend, he is said to be a blind. Finally, Godiva's husband kept his word and abolished the heavy taxes.

Many people know about this famous story and alreay might see Lady Godiva on the wrapper of Godiva's chocolate. Whenever I see the picture, I think of a woman who had a tender heart.

1 comment:

xavi said...

It is a very nice story and a beautiful painting. I didn't know about it. I bet you know the chocolate Godiva. Mmmmm, it is so gooooodd!!!