Saturday, March 8, 2008

Old Capital Museum

I have never visited speical places in Iowa City until we visited the national museum. I serched for information in the Internet and decided to visit old capital museum on campus because admission fee is free and it is near. So, I visited with Joy, Nayeon, Ambrosio and a unkown guy after the potluck party. There were two people in the desk. I asked for museum touring and one officer was willing to guide us.

The first place that we went was the auditor's officer, which was smiliar to a common office. Then, we moved to the govener's offficer which was lager than auditor's officer and had good view sights out of the window. The govenor could see people who was comming to and going outside the building through the large window. In this room I found the window cover that can block the window from sunshine and is made of white-painted wood. I loved it. I wished to carry out to my house. ^^ One strange thing there was a small toilet whcih looked too small for fat people to go in. I saw several spittoons which were used for spiting out tabacco.

And we moved to house chamber in the second floor in which representatives at that time did legislative activities. I could think that just 26 chairs for representatives and a speaker's chair showed that Iowa was a small state in about 1840. There was senate chamber in front of the house chamber, where was a grand piano and about 4feet high ceiling. I loved there because of the grand piano. The officer said that this room is used as a place for a concert or a lecture. After comming back home, when I told my roomate about this room, she gave me happy news. Next week we can go there to see the piano concert, so, I was so excited.

I was happy to visit there with my classmates. Even though I have lived in Iowa for 7 months, I didn't know about the history of Iowa. Through this short tour, I heard that Iowa became the 29th state in the United States. Now the old capital building is used for museum and university, but it was the capital building of Iowa state before Des Moines became it. One sad fact is that the building was burn by fire in 2001 in spite of having been recovered completely after that.

Maybe I can think of the history of Iowa whenever I hear the chime bells ring from old capital. It was fun and meaningful time.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I'm so glad you found it interesting. I was saying to Ambrosio, I haven't been there since I was in elementary school. I didn't remember anything about it. And I had no idea they held concerts there. That would be fun.